I have just bought a new Sony VAIO laptop for SharePoint 2010 development. It has Windows 7 Ultimate on it and obviously it is 64 bit. Even though there were some problems with the SharePoint 2010 Beta 2 installation, but fortunately I am able to get SharePoint 2010 Beta 2 running on my laptop now without any problem.
I am going to list out the installation steps in this post, as there are lots of article around about the installation steps already. Instead I will list out the problem that I had and how I got around them.
I followed the MSDN article “Setting Up the Development Environment for SharePoint Server” to prepare the installation and most of the things work fine.
For your information, here are the detail of my development environment:
- Windows 7 Ultimate – 64 bit, with 6GB RAM
- SQL Server 2008 Standard Edison – with SP1 and latest cumulative updates
- SharePoint 2010 Beta 2
- Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Beta 2
- Office 2010 Beta
- No Active Directory
Here are the problems that I had when I setup my SharePoint 2010 development environment.
1. SQL 2008 Install Error: Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control
When I run the SQL Server 2008 installation wizard, I got the error message “Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control”. After a bit of research, I found the solution mentioned in this post works. All you need to do is minimize all other windows when the installer is running, and make sure the SQL 2008 installer windows is always active by clicking the installer dialog.
Well, this is a weird problem…
2.) Cannot Create New Web Application and Running the Configuration Wizard in Central Admin
This one is easy, just turn off User Access Control and you will be fine.
3.) Visual Studio 2010 Install Error: VC 10.0 Runtime (x86)
I was trying to install Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 using the ISO file that I downloaded from MSDN. However I was getting an error when the installer try to install the “VC 10.0 Runtime (x86)” component.
After Google for a while, I found this post suggesting using the web installer will fix the problem. I have tried this and it works fine for me.